In the category of healthcare screw-up of the week:
An Illinois jury has awarded more than $2.9 million to the family of a Healthcare and Retirement Corp. of America resident who died by suffocation when her tracheostomy tube became clogged (Sheila Albores, as Special Administrator of the Estate of Ana Carrasco, Deceased v. Healthcare And Retirement Corporation of America, d/b/a Manorcare Health Svs Homewood, No. 02 L 7024, Ill. Cir., Cook Co., Law Div.).
My only comment – allowing a tracheostomy tube to become clogged seems particularly incompetent and grossly negligent. The purpose of the tube is to allow oxygen into the lungs of the patient.