The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

A misfilled prescription has caused the death of a 2-year-old child in Texas. The parents have turned to our civil justice system and to a billboard company as part of their effort to prevent future such tragedies. From The Brownsville Herald article:

Toddler’s death prompts public message

As the rolling billboard remained momentarily idle on East Van Buren Street Friday afternoon, motorists slowed down to read the message next to the photo of a smiling pigtailed toddler cuddling a puppy.

“Cardinal Health Pharmacy killed this child by giving her the wrong medicine,” the billboard reads.

The photograph is of 2-year-old Alyssa Renee Rodriguez of Harlingen who attorneys claim died at the negligence of Cardinal Health 109 Inc. and two of its employees when she was given the wrong medicine for toxic lead poisoning.

Alyssa Renee Rodriguez was admitted to Valley Baptist Medical Center-Harlingen in 2005 for treatment of toxic lead poisoning and was prescribed edetate calcium disodium. She instead was given edetate disodium, which caused her to suffocate, according to a personal injury and breach of contract lawsuit filed on the behalf of the toddler’s parents, Diana Alcala and Richard Rodriguez.

The girl’s parents hope to prevent other families from experiencing their heartache and view the billboard as a public awareness campaign.

The family had wanted to erect stationary billboards along roadways in Cameron County, but a temporary restraining order was issued by Cameron County Court-at-Law Janet Leal prohibiting stationary billboards from being installed or parked near Expressway 77/83 or Business 77.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest