10212017Headline:

St. Petersburg, Florida

HomeFloridaSt. Petersburg

Email Bob Carroll Bob Carroll on LinkedIn Bob Carroll on Twitter Bob Carroll on Facebook
Bob Carroll
Bob Carroll
Contributor •

Portable Generators Can Kill If Used Inside

Comments Off

With a few months of the hurricane season remaining it is important to remember the hazards associated with the use of portable generators. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has started the rulemaking process to require manufacturers of the generators to place a warning label on them. The label is intended to prevent the use of the generators inside a home or garage where carbon monoxide poisoning can occur.

CPSC Approves NPR Proposing New Warning Label for Portable Generators

WASHINGTON, D.C. – In an effort to reduce the rising death toll from carbon monoxide poisoning associated with consumer use of portable generators, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) voted unanimously (2-0) to issue a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPR).

The proposed standard would require manufacturers to place a new warning label on portable generators. The label includes pictograms and statements warning consumers that a generator’s exhaust contains poisonous carbon monoxide and that a generator should NEVER be used inside the home or in partially enclosed areas such as garages.

CPSC has reports of 64 people who died last year from carbon monoxide poisoning associated with portable generators. Many of the deaths occurred after hurricanes and major storms.

Later this year, CPSC staff will be providing the Commission with information on other potential regulatory and non-regulatory options to reduce deaths and injuries caused by carbon monoxide poisoning from generators.